Saturday, October 11, 2008

Velvet for you

As requested by Bookgirl, here are some of my velvet birds from the Velvet Resurrection show.
Each one is a clear cut from 5mm MDf board, covered with stretch velvet, backed with hand stitched black felt and painted with airbrushed and brushed acrylic. They measuring 60cm from beak to tail with legs made from foiled copper wire. I am working on a new exhibition for the 8th December 2008 at the Deluxe cafe in Wellington. Called 'Velvet Honeys', it features birds of a different variety, designed to tickle your nostalgic senses.


9 comments:

Vanda Symon said...

Stunning. I'd love to see them in the flesh, as it were. Our family has a thing for birds.

Unknown said...

Thanks! How much do you sell them for Fifi?

Fifi Colston said...

They are $320 each. There are three in a wee gallery called Kiwi Art House up the top of Cuba St if you want to have a look at them in the flesh so to speak. I also have a Saddleback here. I make to order too. You can e-mail me at fific@paradise.net.nz

Arashi said...

Looks great!

Unknown said...

Did youy get my last coment - probably not - Andrew who I work with at vincnets does nice mono-prints of birds. Natives & at prressent he has a show in our gallery of pigeons & sparows.

I like your birds - low relaif sculpture, biut not carved.
Painted sculpture.

Vanda Symon said...

Any places in Dunedin exhibit your work Fifi?

Fifi Colston said...

No galleries in Dundedin I'm afraid.

Melinda Szymanik said...

what about auckland?

cheers
Melinda

Fifi Colston said...

Only Wellington I'm afraid. I thought I had an outlet at Magazzino in Newmarket for a bit, he ordered five then when it came to a job order went quiet...like the lawyer who said she wanted 3 birds, 3 beetles and 3 flowers and then said she was broke when it came to a deposit. A broke lawyer? Never heard of such a beast! Frustrating when you buy the materials and get ready to start. I learned something there...