Saturday, July 23, 2011

Soggy Saturday


  
I may have posted this one before, but looking outside at the rain, it seems appropriate to post it again. I wrote this for my regular Next Magazine column whilst we were living in Bristol- it rained there just as much as it does here...possibly more.

Outpourings

I told the rain to go away
And come again another day.
It did and now it’s with regret
I find myself so sodding wet.

My car today was down the street;
I ran to it on soggy feet,
My brolly fighting with the wind,
Turned inside out and had me pinned

Against a wall where gutters gushed,
Awash with leaves and humus, mushed.
It all cascaded down my neck;
A filthy shower, made for Shrek.

My jeans, a trendy baggy pair,
Dragged a denim driftnet flare,
And I craved a retro 80’s taper
Instead of street-cool litmus paper.

When I was young, we used to say,
Rain was the Almighty’s way,
Of showing he was feeling blue…
I hope he doesn’t get the flu!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Brilliant! Thanks for making me smile on such a miserably wet, Wellington weekend :) Love your illustrations too!